Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving the settings of a web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlWebWiz

Technical User
Mar 7, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a page that has a drop down box with two options. A user can change the option from "Available" to "In Use". My question is, When the user changes the option...how can this be saved so that when another user goes to this page they will see the option that it has been switched to instead of just getting the page without the switched selection??

thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

STLWW

I would set a database variable that will change it so that it will reflect for other users. Particularly if this is for multiple users, setting a database variable is really the only way to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

i think you can use a Application object in your case.

The Application object is used to store and access variables from any page, just like the Session object. The difference is that ALL users share one Application object, while with Sessions there is one Session object for EACH user.

More information on
-DNG

DotNetGnat has a good idea that would probably also work well. I admit that I'm somewhat prejudiced toward using a db for keeping this kind of info, but it's more a matter of preference...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I was thinking about using the Application Object as well, that is what I'll go with.

Thanks for your input.
STLWW

The problem with the application variables is they are reset whenever your IIS service is restarted.

You might want to look into using the application start and end evetns inside the global.asa file to persist the variable state to a db or even just a text file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back