Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

saving the modified HTML back to a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacowacko

Programmer
Feb 19, 2010
IN
I have implemented a WYSIWYG editor that allows users to modify websites from browser. I now can make the changes to a page, but i need to save those changes. I tried to use innerHTML and save that, but innerHTML is not giving the actual source . I need a way by which i can take the current(modified) contents of a page and save it. If anyonehas suggestions plsss tell...this is urgent!!!!

Hi

The subject of the thread sounds like something solved in TiddlyWiki, so I would take a look at their saving trick.

But the content of your post sounds like you are editing an element and wanting to get the source of the whole document. Which as far as I know, is not possible.

Feherke.

jacowacko,

From the sound of your post, you've confused 2 different things: Static websites and Dynamic websites.

Using a CMS produces dynamic websites, where the "pages" are built "on the fly." You can still use a WYSIWYG editor, however you need to modify other things such as:
Themes and/or Styles
Nodes or whatever the particular CMS uses for "pieces" of the website.

If you edit the actual "page" per se, you're headed for a mess, and frankly, the CMS will not function correctly at all. At best, you'll get a static page that probably does not have everything where it's supposed to be.

What you COULD be referring to is something like FCKEditor or CKEditor, where you can allow "members" to edit certain portions of a "site" such as blog posts, forum posts, etc.

Let us know if that's the case, and then give a little more detail as to the specifics of your issue/problem (so, maybe give us a walk through type example of what is not happening that should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back