Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving task data to custom table

Status
Not open for further replies.

yashr

Programmer
Mar 1, 2005
US
Hello :
I need some help with creating customized project guide. I am new to MS project.

We are using Project 2003/Project Sever.
We have a template with some customized task fields.
When a user goes to save this project, we want to insert selected tasks based on the id in the customized field into a custom table with unique_id(sequence gen), some task information in addition to MS Project saving its data to the database as usual.

Do I have to write a VBA to do the above? Any advice on where to start, how to approach this and/or how to go about doing this is appreciated.

Ex:Template:
Task_name Custom
Task 1 100
Task 2 210
Task 3 300
Task 4 300

Custom Table :

Project_id Unique_id Task_name
101 1 Task1
101 2 Task 3
101 3 Task 4

In this case I need to go through the task list and save the tasks with 100 and 300 to a custom table.

Thanks -

Yes, Maybe and No.

Yes: you will need VBA.
Maybe: you will need a custom table (why don't you save the data in one -- or more -- of the enterprise fields?)
No: I can't help you with accessing customized tables on Server.

You'll need to code something like:

dim t as task
for each t in activeproject.tasks
if not t is nothing then
if not t.summary then
'do your coding thing here
endif
endif
next

You'll need to attach the code to BeforeSave and/or BeforeClose events.

Good luck. (The fact that you are asking these questions here strongly suggests that this is one of those "better outsourced than insourced" enhancements.)

Thanks PDQBach.

We are trying to customze project guide so it help our users to enter sub-tasks. All our summary tasks will be in a template.

We are looking into some kind of solution so the guide will walk the users through entering blocks of subtasks. Our project plans are for trials and usually these trials run through several years(10 - 12yrs). This means we have a lots and lots of tasks/sub-tasks. Copying and pasting does not work becasue of the no. of rows and the human error factor involved. Also, these sub_tasks are different for different kind of trials so we cannot keep them in a template.

So, while saving these trials we want to caputure information about some specified tasks and store it in a custom table.

Thanks again.

I have never done anything in the project guide (probably should try it some day just to see ... but there just isn't enough spare tme in a day).

My gut feeling is you're overloading the project guide but you might get away with it. Based on the amount of work PCubed put into their project guide, I'd pick up the phone and give them a call and have a rep come out. Tell them what you want and they'll tell you what it will cost. You may not like the price but, at the very least, it will give you the ballpark estimate from a company that does that sort of stuff for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back