Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving takes unusually long with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Ever since I upgraded to W10 every time I go "Save" or "Save as..." it takes nearly a minute before it shows the window to save the file.

I have a couple external HDs. Both setup to use "Better performance" from their Policies tab in their Properties window.

Specs: Desktop PC, AMD Phantom II X3 710 2.6Ghz, 8 Gb ram, Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks guys,

JDL

Do you have any Network, or Mapped Drive connected? If you Disconnect from them does that help? See, This PC/ Computer/ Map network drive.

Do you see this problem in Safe Mode, and if not, do you have it from a Clean Boot?

What happens if you test with another user rather than the current user?

Very good questions Linney!
I don't have anything drives network mapped, just checked now.
I'll try in Safe mode soon. I didn't do a clean install.
I'll test it from another user right away.

JDL

Also, is it a specific program you are having issues with or ANY program (Paint, Notepad, etc...)?

I would guess then that it is Gimp issue rather than Windows (I always found Gimp to be slow regardless) - or perhaps the GTK framework upon which it is built.

I would agree the problem is likely directly associated with Gimp. It has always, best I remember, been a very slow program to load. It could be they have something to work through since the Windows 10 release. It may be simply a matter of time before they update it.

I will also say, however, that the new picture viewer in Windows 10 (I forget the name - just "Photos", maybe?) is EXTREMELY slow just opening an image file. Also, using the built in app(s) for opening a video file is slow as Christmas. I've seen this on at least 2 different machines, both with at least decent specs, and tried both where the in place upgrade was installed as well as one where I did a clean install of Windows 10.

Depending upon what you're doing in Gimp, if you wanted to use another image editor that might work more quickly for now, there is Paint.NET. I've not used it in a while, and therefore haven't tested it on Windows 10, but best I recall it was pretty quick. I do enjoy using Gimp more than Paint.NET, but it's possible it can handle at least some of the same tasks.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I hear you guys.
Ok, I guess I'll just wait for an update then.

This just might be another reason for my list of reasons to setup a dual boot with W7 ;)

Thanks guys :)

I'm back...

About Gimp's file-saving's time delay...
I made a dual-boot with Ubuntu 15.04. And what a difference! The responsiveness is SOOOO much better!

JDL

GIMP has always been 'slow' on every version of Windows I have run it on, but use it on a Linux box (any distro) and it is a whole different ball game.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back