Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving space.. unwanted files. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorga

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
NZ
Anyone ever searched your backup jobs for unwanted items, images, mp3's etc?

How did you do it?

Dorga,

I use bpflist on NBU v6.0 to scan for such things; the syntax is a little tricky but bpflist -help will give you a list of options.
As a basic pointer though try this;

bpflist -rl 99 -d 01/01/09 -client <yourclient> -backupid <backupid> | awk '{print $10}' | grep <whatever your looking for>

Hope this helps

Hi.. yeah, that works great. =)

Any other methods out there? Searching daily individual backups seems a bit clunky. Is there a way to scower the catalog? or?

If what you want to do is exclude certain files from being backed up then configure the backup as such with exclude / include lists.
That way you needn't worry about searching.

Netbackup collects its data via images, the only way I know of to find out what has actually been backed up is to look in the image file...the catalog will only give you a list of images. I believe this to be correct, I may be wrong though, I'm no expert.

Naa, its not excludes I am after, its history, for security.

I am pretty sure you are correct, I am just not looking forward to explaining how I would need to gather the data for all historical backups. Security groups do not understand there is only so much time in a day. =)

With over 600 servers running jobs daily, filers, and, and and.. The time to gather the daily list will crunch one of the media servers full time I think if the only way to do it is pull images, and rip the info out on a per image basis with bpflist.

Blah.. I think I will hold off for a week or so in case someone pops up with a crystal ball idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back