Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving settings from a corrupted XP Pro installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcklsn

Programmer
Mar 16, 2003
US
I'm running XP Pro and it must be corrupted in some way because when I try to install SP2, it dies a horrible death, and my system along with it. I have backups, but they are obviously of the corrupted system. I would like to save the settings, favorites, and emails from IE and Outlook and then load a fresh install of XP. I've used the Files and Settings tool, but it saves over 13GB and then when I try to restore the setting, it doesn't work! I have to go back to the last full backup, and I'm right back where I started. I'm frustrated, and any help would definitely be appreciated.
Thanks,
mcklsn

Files and settings transfer is configurable and you ought to be able to cut down what you save from it. Have a look at the Custom saving options.

If you want to sort out SP2 you can enable verbose logging and find out exactly why it is crashing.

834647 - "Service Pack installation did not complete" error message when you try to install a Windows 2000 service pack

243996 - How to Enable Verbose Logging in Windows 2000 GUI-Mode Setup

Windows Setup and Device Installation Logging

Thanks for your help. I know that the Files and Settings Transfer tool is configurable, but the files and folders are not self explanatory, so I'm not sure what I need and what I don't. I'm not immersed enough in XP and Office to know. I wish there were some documentation, or some 3rd party software that made this easier or did a better job of saving your settings between operating system upgrades or crash recoveries.
Thanks again.
mcklsn

You could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

If you have some access to your machine, System Restore may be an option.

The Files and Transfer Settings if run in default will grab all your Username Documents And Settings files including all your E-mails.

Without knowing what settings are causing you a problem it is hard to advise you further other than to say the options to Add or Remove settings is offered as you work through the Wizard.

XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard prob.
thread779-831507

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back