Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving sent mail to "sent items" from SMTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuphantom

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2001
US
Not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice if it was.

We currently use Exchange 2000 with Outlook XP as the client. But a database program we use in-house needs to be able to send/receive email using the POP/SMTP protocols. That part of it works fine... but would be awesome as hell would be if the emails sent from the database program, using the SMTP protocol of the Exchange Server itself would save a copy of that email to the Sent Items folder.

Is that possible at all?

Not possible. The application would have to access the server using the MAPI protocol, like Outlook. Can you set the server to CC a special mailbox?

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Well, shucks. Thanks anyway...

Now I need to go harrass the database vendor to add MAPI/Exchange compatibility to their application. :)

You could write an SMTP sink in VB to detect when a specific sender (ie the server) is sending mail and force the mail to be CC'd to a specific location. Or you could capture the mail using GFI Mail Essentials.

I'm not sure why you would want to keep automated messages you your server... You will be required to maintain the mailbox on a regular basis so that your mail store doesn't fill up.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

I don't think you'd need to go that far. Have the application cc or bcc its own mailbox when it sends a message. Connect to the application's mailbox with a mapi client and create a server side rule to move the cc'd/bcc'd message to sent items. No event sink required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back