Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving / Retrieving data values for a file in the registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdbBear

Programmer
Apr 29, 2005
US
I've been looking through some books, web sites, postings and can't seem to find an answer.

Any links to sites / postings would be appreciated.

I need to store various default settings values for a particular file (.xls in XP or 2K) so that when the file is opened it can read these values. I can't save it in the specific file itself as each day a new version is created and sent out to various users. The new version would get the default values from the registry when the user opens the file.

Thanks,

- Bruce

Do you mean an .ini file?

That's one way to do it though I was asked (by the big powers that be) to look into saving this info in the registry. So just trying to figure that out.

No, a .lnk file. The format is opaque, but you can call a method exposed by the shell to create it on your behalf.

Chip H.

never heard of that type of file ... will have to look into it.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back