Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving reports as spreadsheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuragvijay

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
US
Can BO full-client reports be saved as spreadsheets just like Webi reports? I don't see this feature in the ‘Save As’ dialog box, so I assume it cannot be done. Just need a confirmation on this and whether any indirect method exists to achieve this.

Thanks

Another option in v5. is to use SaveAsHTML and give the file .xls extension. It would preserve formating.

Hi Vumansky

This does not seem to work for me. I'm using BO 5.1.6. When i save as xls and later try to open it in Excel i get an error "file format is not valid". Any clue?!

In version 5.1.6 reports cannot be saved directly in excel. The options you have is to copy the contents of your report into excell or to export the raw data to excell via the data manager.

You should save as HTML. The go look at the folder BO creates. One of the HTML files will be your report. Open the HTML file from within Excel and it works fine. DO NOT CHANGE IT'S EXTENSTION TO XLS.

Another option is to Save As Text. You will lose formatting (colors and number formats), BUT everything will still line up correctly.

Keep in mind that charts are not exportable to Excel until V6.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Another option you could try is to automate the copy process via code. Here's a little sub I use to get a report from B/O into excel - code is held in excel:

Sub GetBOData()
Dim BoApp As busobj.Application, BODoc As busobj.Document, BORep As busobj.Report
Set BoApp = CreateObject("BusinessObjects.application")
With BoApp
.LoginAs "userID", "password"
.Visible = True
.Documents.Open ("Full path\reportname.rep")
With .ActiveDocument
.Refresh
i = 1
For Each rpt In .Reports
rpt.Activate
BoApp.CmdBars(2).Controls("&Edit").Controls(20).Execute
Sheets(i).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
i = i + 1
Next
End With
End With

Set BoApp = Nothing
Set BODoc = Nothing
End Sub

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back