Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Report As PDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtJarrow

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
US
If anyone is familar with faq703-2533 and has experienced problems with OfficeXP/2003 and WindowsXP, please take another look at the FAQ. I was informed of the problem today and solved it. I have updated the FAQ to include this information.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

We were using similar code to change the bExecViewer registry key with Win XP and Access97. Now that we've upgraded to Adobe 6, it no longer does the trick. Version 6 uses a different printer name (Adobe PDF) and the settings are now part of the printer properties rather than just registry entries.

There are many registry keys which reflect the value of the printer settings, but changing them does not affect the Adobe printer properties, only vice versa.

All requests to Adobe for help regarding this issue, tell you to shell out more $ to buy the SDK, so you can call the routines directly in code. I've figured out which printer bits to set to force the output, so I'm calling API's to set them.

Jiqjaq,

This: rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry was the new key for me....it is a command line interface that allows you to add/change/edit printers. It includes setting a default from a command line. This was Shelled out and adjusts all those reg keys you are refering to. Might simplify your work if you can use it. Thanks for your viewpoint.

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+

Robert,

On the subject of PDFs could you please take a look at my new thread thread181-766673 on whether its possible to merge two pdfs programmatically.

Excuse me for trying to solicit a response from this thread, but I could'nt resist the opportunity.

With thanks,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

Steve,

I've given a possible answer in you current thread...

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+

Many thanks for the code update.
Does the new code also run for older windows/office versions?
How would I test for the windows and office versions?

georgp

Attention Robert L. Johnson III

Hi Robert,

With reference to your early post relating to using rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry to generate the PDF file, have you managed to get this working. If so, would it be possible to post a sample command line, for example which takes a word.doc file and converts it to Acrobat.pdf.

I've had a little bit of a tinker, but havnt been able to do it yet.

If you've already done it, would be grateful of a quick solution,

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back