Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving PictureBox Contents As A GIF File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denk

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
GB
I am writing an application where I want to save the contents of a PictureBox as a graphic file. I would like to do this in 8bit GIF format, but the program always seems to want to save in 24bit BMP format. How do I make the application save the picture as a GIF file?

I may be a little out-of-date here but I think the GIF format is a proprietary file format (owned by CompuServe, unless I'm mistaken). Some image editors have stopped supporting the format (including recent versions of Paint Shop Pro).<br>
Again, my information may be dated, but my understanding is that if you want to distribute an app that writes GIF files, you have to buy a license from the owner of the format.<br>
<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Alt255 -<br>
<br>
You are correct -- the GIF format is owned by Compuserve and they want anyone writing a graphics utility that writes GIF files to pay them a royalty. Partly because GIF uses the LZW compression algorithm, and Unisys owns a patent on it (so Compuserve has to kick part of your fee back to them).<br>
<br>
Everyone seems to be using JPEG despite it being a lossy format, and I see a few people starting to use the PNG format (which was designed to be royalty-free after the GIF issues hit the fan).<br>
<br>
Denk -- I would look into getting a graphics library that will save your file as you want, and making sure that they have paid Compuserve on your behalf.<br>
<br>
Chip H.<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back