Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Office docs opens up server O: drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fismxa

MIS
Jan 14, 2004
US
We run Office XP and Win2k on our FR3 server farm. Profiles are roaming and we redirect, via GPO, My Documents to their home drive on a file server (i.e. \\server\user.name$\My Documents; users see it as J:\My Documents) and have directed the default save location in Office to J:\My Documents. We have also, via GPO, locked down the server's local drives (O:, P: & Q:) so that users cannot normally see the drives (we don't publish the desktop, but do publish Windows Explorer so they can access their home folder on the J: drive; they cannot access the server's local drives in Explorer).

Our problem: When users open a doc and then go to File>>Save as, the default save location is O:\Documents and Settings\user.name\My Documents. If they try to redirect by clicking on the "My Documents" button on the left hand side, it still goes to O:. We have had several irate users lose documents when they save to O: inadvertantly and lose it when they log off. Further, users can now freely browse almost all (except user profiles) of the O: drive!

Two questions:
1) How can I make the default save location J:\My Documents?
2) How can I redirect the "My Documents" button to go the the network My Documents rather than the local My Documents?

P.S. I have confirmed that the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\user shell folders\personal key points to the network folder.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

I've not used your version of Office but older ones store the default path in:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\??.0\Excel\Options
DefaultPath = "U:\???????"

Can you not script or add to your GPO the default location? What about adding the Office Adm files to your Citrix GPO and configuring the defaults from there?

Is that of any use? I tend to script everything because I'm an ex-programmer and script-junkie!!!

Cheers,
Carl.

Thanks for the response.

I checked the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word, Excel,etc keys as well as the "common" key and they all seem to be pointing to the networked My Docs.

Our GPO directs users to the networked my docs.

Office adm files? Are they similar to prf files?

Hi,

You import the adm files into your GPO and then you can alter the system.

Try the Office Resource Kit I think you'll find them in there!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back