Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving large documents (attachements) takes a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

woonjas

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2001
US
I've noticed that when saving documents with large attachments within a terminal server session using a R6.5.3 client takes a long time. It almost looks like the session hangs, until other activity to the server takes place from other clients.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? and if so is there a fix/workaround?

Cheers

Woonjas
IRC: #notes on EFNet
homepage:

What do you call a "large" attachment ? 20MB, 100MB, more ?
In practice, anything above 10MB is going to be rather slow, whatever your network capacity.
I don't think there is a workaround to this, unless you can create a file storage database, post the file in there, and send just the link to the people concerned.
The server admin will love you for that, but everyone has to play ball in order for the thing to be useful.

Pascal.

the same operation on my laptop directly to the server (even while using wireless) shows continuous network activity towards the server when saving these documents (attachment size 10-60 mb), without having to generate continuous activity to the server from another client.

This has been puzzling me for a while.

Woonjas
homepage:

So, you're saying that the same attachment done from a laptop is taking more time and generating more traffic than on a desktop ?
That is indeed curious, although I'd tend to attribute it more to laptop configuration than to server sluggishness.

Pascal.

the same attachment done from my laptop saves faster (continuous network activity towards the server) than when I save it from our windows 2003 terminal server session.

I reproduced it with me being the only user logged on the terminal server.

as long as there is (client) activity towards the server, the save from the TS client continous, but as soon as activity from other clients stop, the network activity towards the server from the TS client takes a dive...

the link I posted shows the network activity from the terminal server while saving the large attachment. peaks occur when I keep f9 pressed in the client on my laptop, when I release the f9 key, the network activity drops.

any thoughts?

Woonjas
homepage:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back