Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving JPG without recompression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvw

Technical User
Feb 12, 2001
US
If I want to make changes to a JPG and save the changed document as a JPG, how can I save it with out it being recompressed ( without saving as .tiff, .psd, etc.)? I am a photographer and I totally screwed the pooch when working on a portfolio shot and now you can see the compression artifacts. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Any help would be great!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you're working on your jpg file and are willing to write over it, you can simply make your changes and select Save from the File menu. You will be asked if you're sure that you want to replace the saved file with this existing file. Click on Replace and the jpg will be saved without further compression.

You can also save the amended jpg as a new file by selecting Save As from the File menu. Give a new name and select the location that it is to be saved in and click Save. You should have a jpg compression dialog box appear. Make sure the slider bar is as far to the right as possible. This will ensure that the file is not re-compressed.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip Shaggy. I'll remember that next time. Or I guess I could avoid the whole mess by saving as a .tiff if it's that important anyway. Either way, thanks

hi cvw,

saving them as tiff will not be compressed so as a photographer you need to preserve all the quality of your photo.
in case you want to save it as jpg ...I suggest that you save it for web and select 100 for quality.

Good luck,

ChouCh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back