Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving images the actual size you made them? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianbr

Technical User
Feb 23, 2011
GB
Hi, this sounds like a daft question but i swear i'm failing at doing it.

I've created various images, and i've created them at the exact size i want them. For example, 1 of my images is 450 by 150 pixels and i want it saved in .png format. I've found 2 ways to do this.

Export it as .png file but this increases image size to about 1000x600 at a guess.

The other way is save for web and devices, but with this method it tells me original dimensions are 800x600 (which i'm sure it refers to the grey and white grid under neath). Changing these dimensions doesn't change the image to the desired dimension, but rather changes the grid.

The only way i've found to do it is copy the image to clipboard, paste it into preview and save the file as .pdf. This results in the exact image i want with the correct dimensions and resolution etc. Except it's in .pdf so i cant use it for css image replacement. Converting or saving this image as an image extension increases its size again.

Anyone help? I want to save the images i've created 'as is'.

/facepalm

Untick 'clip to artboard'

feel a bit silly now...

spoke too soon as that method changes the colours...

When you created/defined the document, did you specify dimensions in pixels? If not, you can change the Document Setup now.

If the document is not originally defined in pixels, Illustrator can make wild assumptions when you export.

Thanks for responding. Yeah my documents are setup in pixels. It's strange as i know the image can be extracted from the program without fault since it's fine when saved down to .pdf, just not with image extensions.

Bet it's just a simple setting i'm missing somewhere.

I've got round it by resizing it in preview, but this is seriously irksome so if anyone's got any other ideas that'd be great. cheers

I just re-read this...

Export it as .png file but this increases image size to about 1000x600 at a guess

How are you making that guess? Where are you measuring? Why can't you know for sure? What is the true size when you re-open the file in Photoshop or at least view its dimensions in Bridge?

It was just a guess by look of it on my screen. Actual size reported by photoshop is 949x471.

...which actually gave me good idea to finalize in photoshop instead but it still changes the colour when saving down to image file. Why does it do that when my suite in synced... changes background colour from F0D28C to FBD392 everytime i do it.

I fixed it. The colours anyway, the sizing is still wonky but that doesn't really matter as small job to resize.

My website was made in cmyk but images were made in rgb, what a silly thing to overlook. Sorry everyone. Thanks for responses jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back