Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving high resolution tiff file 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jons259

Technical User
Nov 5, 2005
US
Hello there. i have a 120 megabyte tiff file of a single family portrait on a cd. when i edit it using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 the resulting edited file is only 52 megabytes, even if i save it as a tiff file with no compression. Is there a way for me to edit the portrait and save it at 120 megabytes?

When you first open the image from the CD - go to the Image menu, then the Image Size... sub menu

Can you post the exact width and height in Pixels for us to see

Also, what colour-space is the image in (RGB, CMYK)

This problem makes no sense at present

Kind Regards
Duncan

You mean you want the image to be twice as large as it currently is?

TIFF file format encodes quite a bit of information that may not be usefull to you if you are editing a personal family photo, chances are Photoshop is stripping alot of this extra information out when it resaves the file.

Is this really a problem?

I work with very large photographs every day in my job, I very rarely use files over 100mb to print banners, posters, trade show graphics. What do you need with a file that large? Did you change the bit depth? What is the original bit depth 8 or 16?

Any file up to about 18-25 megs, if a good resolution and from a decent scanner/digital camera will produce an excellent print from wallet size up to 16x20 or larger.

DBX
(Try it my way, it might work...)

No one is answering the OP's question - just getting themselves transfixed on how much information he/she has got. As the OP stated:

... even if i save it as a tiff file with no compression ...

... surely the OP is wanting to know why an uncompressed TIFF is shrinking so much

and i wonder why also!

Kind Regards
Duncan

It is a good question, not sure i know the answer, looking at the save options in CS i can save the image pyramid, transparency as well as decide on the layer compression (RLE, ZIP and flatten layers).

Each of these decisions would impact the file size, expecially the Image Pyramid and Preserving layers.

jons259 - Is there other options in the save as dialogue box in PS7? If so, which settings are you selecting?

GrooveMonkey

You may well have the answer - maybe it is in some other save options - and not the compression itself. Good point!

Kind Regards
Duncan

If the file size/dpi/bit depth is not changing, then there should be no difference in the files as far as quality is concerned. I do agree however something is changing. I would like to see a list of changes made to the file and all save options in order to answer the question.

DBX
(Try it my way, it might work...)

Thank you for all the stars

Does that mean that someone helped with the problem?

We are all in the dark here

Kind Regards
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back