Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenox0

Programmer
Mar 28, 2005
CA
Hey all,
I have created a custom control. During my repaint function I am drawing a grid. My thoughts were that instead of drawing the grid I could just save the graphics after the first time, and then redraw the saved image.

I tried two seperate things. First was using
graphics.Save ( ) / graphics.Restore ( savedGraphics )
When I was using that my graphics ended up being completely blank.

I also tried......
Bitmap tempGraphics = new Bitmap ( this.width, this.Height, graphics );

graphics.DrawImage ( Image.FromBitmap ( tempGraphics ) );

The drawimage code I put here isnt the exact code. It was something like Image.FromHBitmap. I dont have it with me at current tho. I also tried saving the created bitmap to a file but it came out blank (tempGraphics.Save ( "test.bmp" ); It was the right width and height however it was just a blank file.

I always saved the graphics once everything was drawn then toggle a flag. Then when drawing again check the flag. If its set its suppost to load the image rather than redraw. Can anyone help me out? Maybe give an example of saving a Graphics object to a file? or even just make an Image or Bitmap of it? Thanks.

What you are talking about is similar to double buffering.

using System.Drawing;
private Bitmap _Buffer;

//I suggest doing this in a constructor somewhere
_Buffer = new Bitmap(width, height);
Graphics g = Graphics.FromImage(_Buffer);
//draw stuff
//ex: g.FillRectangle(Brushes.Green, 0, 0, 100, 100);
g.Dispose();

protected override void OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
{
//Draw stuff

e.Graphics.DrawImageUnscaled(_Buffer, new Point(x,y));
//or yourGraphicsObject.DrawImageUnscaled(...); if you are drawing to another graphics object

//Draw stuff
}

Happy Coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back