Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

saving files to same folder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I frequently need to save attachments adn so foth out to the server. many levels deep and the folders are numerous so it is tedios. is there a way to make a shortcut or something that shows in the save-as folder dialog box pointing to that folder?
Any thing that might help suggestions or whatever
TIA

DougP

Map the folder to a drive letter with 'net use' ->
Create a "My Network Place" ->
Create a 'Library' and add that folder as the location.

That's off the top of my head, there is probably some more, though obscure and convoluted they maybe.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Via My Computer, place a shortcut to the desired folder in the Favorites area in the left pane. These Favorites show in the Open and Save As dialogs making one-click access very easy.

Freestone, thaks that worked great!!!
I had to figure out what you meant.
I opened computer and then navigated to the folder
I right clicked and made a shorcut to it then drug teh shortcut up to the left side under "Favorites"...
and now when I click Save-As it shows up
So it there for eveything when I open Computer I see it also.
Have a star!!!!
:)

DougP

I'm glad that you were able to figure out my terse instructions and that it solved your issue. Thank you for the star too.

And you can always drag-and-drop the desired folder into the Favorites area to create the link rather than creating a shortcut first. A small step, but saves some effort.

Freestone quote
you can always drag-and-drop the desired folder into the Favorites
it appeaded this was going to copy the folder and not create a shortcut to it. since there are a ton of iles and folders I stopped it before it tried that and manually created shorcut.

DougP

On my Windows 7, when I drag as described, once the folder is in the Favorites area, a small window appears. If the cursor is between objects in Favorites, it says "Create link in Favorites" but if I am hovering over a folder it'll indicate it will be performing a Copy or Move, depending on the target folder's location. But there's nothing wrong with being safe about it, especially where your large folder and contents are concerned, DougP.

It may be helpful to specify ‘Right-Click and drag’ to create shortcuts and links... :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Actually the Favorites area responds to right-click, or left-click, and drag equally as described in my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back