Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving files for outside printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbear

Technical User
May 4, 2001
US
Some where I saw an article on saving Corel files etc. in TIFF to take to a printer. Can anyone tell about that? It seemed that saving the file in TIFF might be larger but the resolution etc. would be better and result in a better printing job.
Thanks to all in advance.
Terry

You might want to consider using a printer/service bureau in your area that is used to printing Corel files. I use Corel certified print houses and they have no problems with my Corel files. You can find those printers from Corel website.

Actually a Tiff file would possibly be poorer in quality. Your best bet would be to save it as an EPS, and any competent print house would be able to handle it. The method for making it into TIFF or EPS is the same.

You go to File>Export, select the tupe, in this case EPS or Tiff. If you save as EPS and you have crazy fonts, you will want to select save text as curves, not as fonts. Your print house may not have the same fonts installed, so this will make the text harder to edit later, but will ensure that your printer will have no problems. If you choose Tiff, you will lose the ability to resize the image at a later time without losing quality.

Hope this helps. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Correct. When you refer to "printer" I'm assuming you're talking more high-end, and not the corner copy center.

While I've used printers that accept Corel, I still liked to export as EPS.

As mentioned, convert all text to curves. Make sure to save your converted to curves file as a new file, incase you have to make text changes later after the fact.

Also make sure all colors are CMYK, or if you have to hit a certain color, Pantone. But Pantone printing will cost you slightly more.

If you're copying your file to CD, file size really isn't an issue. But if you have to e-mail the file to the printer, EPS files can be huge. Using WinZip, zip the EPS file and you're e-mail will thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back