Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Excel Spread Sheet Win ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipster

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
Hello, after opening up a read-only spread sheet, making some changes and clicking on save-as, the folder it picks is a td_003.dir folder automatically. If I do save it in that folder I cannot access it again AFTER WORKING ON IT FOR 2 HOURS!! I can find the folder, but nothing in it. History shows me the file but cannot open it. I tried opening that same read -only file and making small changes and it picks another td_0004.dir folder. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks for any response
Jeff in Minnesota

Jeff,

Here's my best guess as to what is happening...

When you chose "Save As", somehow the folder you refer to (td_003.dir) is likely the "filename" which excel saved the file under.

Excel has a "default" setting of only showing files which have the normal Excel "extention" - which is "xls". Therefore, when you went to open the file, Excel is NOT showing the file - because it is ONLY looking for the "xls" type of files.

To enable Excel (and yourself) to "find" the file, you need to: 1) Use the Open function (Control O), and 2) In the bottom-left corner of the Open window, click on "Files of Type" and change this to "All Files". Then Excel will display ALL files in the folder, and your "td_003.dir file should be there.

Being a valid Excel file (hopefully, just named incorrectly with the wrong extention), you should be able to open it. Once you open it, be SURE to save it with the PROPER extention - i.e. "xls". So, use "File Save As", and change the filename to "td_003.xls".

Hope this helps. Please advise.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back