Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving dual screen settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintjulep

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
JP
I split my time between two offices, carrying a laptop. Both have a desktop monitor, and I use extended desktop. Problem is that the monitors are not the same resolution. To further complicate things, I often give presentations, and the projector is yet another resolution.

Is there anyway to save a "profile" of these different graphics properties settings so I don't have to go through the graphic properties dialogs every time I change locations?

I wouldn't be adverse to writing a bit of code if anyone knows where the settings are written to (somewhere in the register?).

XP SP2

Hi mintjulep,

I think your best bet is to create a different hardware profile for each situation and then boot into that profile when required.

How To Manually Create Hardware Profiles for Laptop Computers.

HTH

Shaun (A+, N+)

Taffy,

Thanks, but that apparently won't work, as noted in the link you provided.

• Display settings are per-user (instead of specific to the hardware profile). The only way to get a different resolution or color setting in a different hardware profile is to use a different display adapter in each hardware profile.

• The monitor type is not maintained as part of a hardware profile.

Besides, I rarely shut-down, generally hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back