Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

saving changes to excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2002
TT
I just got a 2 month gig and I need to allow my users to modify and save changes to excel files that generate reports.

I tried opening the file directly as a hyperlink and I could modify the data and a prompt pops up asking me to save.

i want to keep the 'open directly in IE' funtionality but automate the saving of the changes as a separate file

Is there a way to do that using ASP.net?

"could boost my career"
Akil

I'd try either providing a way to upload the updated Excel file, or create an .aspx page using server controls, and have the code-behind make updates to the Excel file.

This is the save as code I use to save an excel file that is open.

Code:
 oXL.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs("C:\", Excel.XlFileFormat.xlWorkbookNormal, Type.Missing,_ Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing,_ Excel.XlSaveAsAccessMode.xlNoChange, Type.Missing,_ Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing)

oXL being your Excel.Application object. If you need anymore assistance in working with excel I can help. I just finished a hair pulling application that uses excel to generate reports from sql data.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back