Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving an AutoFilter Condition to a New Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

0sprey

Technical User
May 9, 2015
CA
MS Project 2010 SP2

I have used the AutoFilter Function on the "Task Name" column to select and display one only Summary Task c/w all its underlining Tasks.

I now wish to save this selection and display condition as a new Filter so that I can quickly access and apply later.

Can this be done ? I cannot see how to make a new Filter from an AutoFilter condition.

Thanks, KMD Canada

Go to the filter drop-down at the top of the column. Choose Filters > Custom. Click Save in the Custom Autofiler dialog.

Thank you for the response....

I set the AutoFilter on the "Task Name" column to display only the Closing Summary Task and its Sub Tasks.

When I go to the "Custom AutoFilter" Dialog box and select "Filters/Custom" there are no values displaying in the Rows area of this dialog box.
When I click "Save", the "Filter Definition" dialog then displays. However there are no values displaying in this dialog box either.
Clicking "Save" in the Filter Definition dialog box generates the following error... "This is not a valid Test"

Perhaps, I need to examine the Grouping Function and how it might interact with the "Task Name" column to get things to function as I would like.
It seems like the "Task Name" column might function a wee bit differently due the Summary Task / Sub Task structure that is uses ?

Thanks, Keith

Sorry for the delay, Keith. So you have filtered for one specific Task? You can define a filter to equal a specific string.

I filtered for one (1) only specific Summary Task… which contains thirty (30) individual sub Tasks.
To accomplished this I clicked on the down-arrow on the “Task Name” field and removed all check boxes except that of the specific Summary Task... and the Summary task c/w all 30 sub Tasks appeared correctly.
However, I could not find any way to SAVE this condition in the form of a Custom Filter.

I did find a workaround however:
1 Noted the Task IDs of the Summary Task and all the individual Tasks (ID # 112 thru ID # 142)
2 Removed the filter condition (F3)
3 Created a new custom filter with an appropriate name (that of the Summary Task)
4 Set the filter definition as ‘Great Than or Equal To’ the Summary Task ID (#112) AND ‘Less Than or Equal To’ the ID for the last sub Task (#142).

This filter seems to function in the same manner as Auto Filtering on the Summary Task. This was the only way I could find to save this filtering condition.

Note:
Whenever I click on the Auto-Filter down-arrow on the “Task Name” field the Sort is alphabetical and based on the Task Name… which is not very useful… at least not in my situation.
Sorting on Task ID would seem to be the most logical default setting. My preference is to display the filter listing Sorted by Task ID.
Can MSP2010 be configured to default to Sorting the Task Name Field (during Auto-Filtering) by Task ID?
Thanks... Keith, Canada

Hi Keith,

Sorry - the list of tasks is alpha and I don't know of any way to change that. It still shows as alpha sort in Project 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back