Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving a few pages out of a large PDF file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostin

Vendor
Feb 22, 2003
US
I have a users manual that is a couple hundred pages of PDF and too large to email the entire thing. My customer just needs about 10 pages of reference sheets from this document. How can I extract just those 10 pages and email them? If I try to print them to the distiller, it says it cannot re-distille an encrypted PDF file. The file is not password protected, but I am not sure if it is encryted or not.

If the document is secure you'll see a yellow key in the status bar at the bottom.

If it says that you can't print or extract it's due to that security.

You either have to turn off the security (click the key) and enter the password. Or ask the creator of the PDF to unlock the document or extract the pages for you.

Craig

Ghost,
In Acrobat, open your primary doc (Manual.pdf) and do: File>Save As> and give it the name of your client (Client.pdf). Close the primary doc (manual.pdf) and work on the copy (client.pdf).

With Client.pdf open in Acrobat, do: Document>Delete Pages> and remove the un-wanted pages reducing the doc to exactly what you want to show the client. When you've finished removing the pages, Save the doc (client.pdf) and you're good to go.

Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. Seek and ye shall find! [peace]

I love Mondays cause they're the Second day of the week!

Thanks for your help guys. It looks like the doc is encrypted. I have a tool to remove the encrytion. I will try that and use the extract or remove feature.

Thanks Again.

Ghostin
Where can I buy the tool for removing PDF encryption?

Does anyone know how to do this in code? I need to break a PDF file down from 100 pages to 100 files with one page. Any assistance is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back