Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

savepnpc question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stigger

MIS
May 18, 2002
AU
I'm trying to run a client side backup from a Solaris server.

The command is

/usr/sbin/savepnpc -vvv -s $SERVER -g $GROUP /oracle/backup/$SID_NAM/_files

This runs fine as root but errors when run as oracle...

32476:savepnpc: Unable to run preclntsave for group LIMSDaily successfully,
see savepnpc.log for possible causes.

There was nothing in savepnpc.log until I changed the log permissions, the the .res permissions and now it complains about the lck permissions...

Does savepnp need to be run as root?

Yes savepnpc needs to be run as root.
If you need to run it as user oracle, add su - oracle in the precommand part of your LIMSDayly.res script

down below is an example of an savepnpc script which changes the user context to user oracle and performs an rman backup of an oracle database to a local disk.
This disk is then backed up, so we have rman backup without an oracle agent.

type: savepnpc;
precmd: "/usr/bin/su - oracle -c `/app/oracle/product/10.2/bin/rman cmdfile /orasik/rman-manual.txt`";
pstcmd: "echo bye", "/bin/sleep 5";
timeout: "12:00:00";
abort precmd with group: No;

Thanks for that I figured it was along those lines...

Also why is it that any client side backup I run using either save or savepnpc shows as it's level as manual in mminfo

This is just how NW works - client backups are always of level 'manual' ... as long as you do not set another level explicitely (-l).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back