Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save voicemail file to disk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCMark

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2008
I have a large voicemail--actually a recording of a conference call--stored on my phone. I'd like to get that off the phone system and onto my computer and free up the voicemail storage. Any idea how I can do that, and also have the file in either an .mp3 or .wav format for storage? The system is a Mitel 5000 CP.

By the way, I had enhanced integration enabled to have messages moved to my email through Exchange. Unfortunately this message is >50MB, which is the limit on our email system. This has caused some other issues with the Mitel, such as all voicemails have stopped being delivered through enhanced integration since this happened and we've had to switch to copy/forward. That will be another post sometime!

Thanks.

If you do a database backup you can save the config of the system to your PC and the voicemail recordings auto attendant greetings etc to a USB stick plugged into the front of the 5000.

I've never tried to extract a recording from a backup from a USB stick, it's going to be something Linuxy I reckon.

If you have the skills you might be able to extract it.

Can you up the attachment limit on your exchange box?

Other than that I think you might be sat with the earpiece next to the mic on a PC recording it!

Get a free copy of Filezilla Client

FTP into your 3300

Change the directory to /vmail (hidden directory)

You'll have to search from there as memory is unreliable.

Looking for a messages folder numbered with the ext.

You can then copy the file to your desktop.

Delete the message using the phone or you can get sync issues.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Now if only he had a 3300.... ;)

I've not looked on a 5000, but the process should be similar. Dig around, it's in there somewhere.

Missed the 5000 bit (obviously) oh well.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

You can backup voice mail via the USB drive. I am not sure what format the voice mail will be saved as but I'm sure there will be some sort of converter out there. I have done a backup to USB before and know it works but you can't just put any old windows formatted USB disc in. You will need to format the disc as FAT 16 and the disc must be less than 2gig

To save to disc go to Operations/Voice Processor Operations/Voice Processor Save
Save to USB Port Choose what to save.

I used a 4gb one the other day, didn't even bother formatting it. Took it out of the packet and stuck it straight in the front of the 5000, worked absolutely fine.

Sorry I haven't posted back. I was able to backup the voice processor and get the file out, which is in .n08a format. I found a post elsewhere that said to rename that as a .raw file, use a sound converter to convert to .wav, which I've tried to do. Unfortunately, after trying two sound converters and several of the messages, all I get is static when converted (or if listened to through Audacity in .raw format.) At least I have a backup of the files! I would really like to find a way to convert those files to .wav or some other standard Windows format. If anyone has other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. This is the link that had the info regarding the conversion that didn't work for me:
Thanks!

If it's non sensitive, send it to me and I can do it for you. If it's sensitive, send me one that isn't and I'll figure it out and send you the steps.

I don't have access to one, not without some work, and I'm generally lazy. ;)

You are definitely welcome to try! I have a zip file with a sample .n08a file and the .env file. I've posted that in a similar thread running on mitelforums and you can download the file from there. Hopefully the link will be attached below. Someone else is trying to solve the conversion issue on that forum as well--hopefully one of you will get it and we can help out anyone else who runs into this in the future.

Thanks very much!
Mark

http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2716.0;attach=1259
Sorry I should have posted earlier, I have just recently figured out how to do this.
NCMark was nearly there.

Download the G729 codec
Unzip the file somewhere eg. C:\G729

Decode the file using "va_g729_decoder.exe filename.n08a filename.wav"

Import this file in to Audacity as a Raw Data with the following settings.
Encoding: Signed 16 bit PCM
Byte order: Little-endian
Channels: 1 Channel (Mono)
Sample Rate: 8000 Hz

This should then import the file in the correct format. You can now export it in just about any format you want.

I have also used the reverse to convert wav files or mp3 to audio that can be used with the 5000, good for professional recordings etc...

On another note, I also used a 40GB external HDD to take a backup and it worked fine. (Formatted as FAT32)
Ver 5.1 software

Sarond--

You are a genius! That worked perfectly. One note, you decode the file with the name filename.wav, that should actually be filename.raw. The raw file then gets input into Audacity and converted to whatever format you want. I will post this as a solution on the other forum as well. Thanks for your help!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back