Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Save to file' not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecojohnson

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
US
Hi everyone.

I downloaded and installed a 120 day trial version of SQL Server. This included the entire suite (query analyzer, profiler, etc.) I was trying to run a trace using SQL Profiler, and then save this trace to a file, but ran into a problem.

On the Trace Properties dialog, there is a "Save to file" checkbox. For some reason, I am unable to check this box. It shows up as enabled, but as soon as I click on it, the "check" goes away. Even if I "tab" over to this field so the focus is on this checkbox, and press the spacebar, it does the same thing (the "check" flashes real quick, but then goes away). The "Save to table" checkbox works just fine (I even tested this out, and I am able to save a trace to a table in the database).

If I log on to the SQL Server where I work and open the profiler, the "Save to file" works just fine.

Any ideas what might be going on? Could it be because it's a trial edition? The version of SQL Profiler is 8.00.194.

Thanks.

The fact that it's a Trial Edition shouldn't matter - like you said, it's the whole package (with a 120 day limit). You mentioned that, when you log onto SQL Server where you work, that you can Save to file - are the permissions different in the other environment that you're logging on through?

Doc Tree

Hi drtree

Yes, that's one thing I wondered as well. However, I have full admin rights on both machines. That's why it's so strange. I'm scratching my head so much, I'm not going to have much left.

My only other idea is to uninstall and reinstall. I really don't want to, but if that's what I have to do...

That might be your best bet - I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with anything talking about the issue you were experiencing. Sometimes it's just quicker to re-install than try and troubleshoot a difficult and obscure issue - hope everything works out for you.

Dr Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back