Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save Record Pointer or Remember Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddvb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2001
US
Please help an old X-baser who’s out-of-touch !

In Dbase/DBMAN/KMAN we used to be able to save variables to disk inside the database. This allowed me to start the application with the record pointer at the same position on subsequent runs.

Short of writing to a text file outside the DB, I haven’t found a way to do this in Access 2000.

Have many apps where I filter data based on selected month/year. Would like to open DB with the same M/Y still selected. I’d have thought this to be a common request and addressed neatly within Access (like a tie-in to the MonthView ActiveX control that recalls last state), but I can’t find any examples in the Help system or KB. I’m hope I’m just using the wrong logic or terminology.

Someone suggested everything should be in tables, so I’m currently using a single-record table called “CurrentStuff” to hold selected month/year. This doesn’t seem the most efficient answer, and creates a problem in Queries if the date info isn’t broken-out into separate fields in the main table (if I use a calc or SQL stmt. to relate fields I can’t update table via query) as in the SQL example below where I try to relate a month [CurrentStuff.CurrentMonth] to the month of a full date [DatePart("m",[Extended]] :

SELECT Tasks.[Client Name], Tasks.Description, Tasks.[Month Due], Tasks.[Day Due], Tasks.Extended, Tasks.OutDate, Tasks.Partner, Tasks.[In-Charge], Tasks.Remarks
FROM Tasks INNER JOIN CurrentStuff ON Tasks.[Month Due] = CurrentStuff.CurrentMonth OR ((DatePart("m",[Extended]))=CurrentStuff.CurrentMonth)
ORDER BY Tasks.[Client Name], Tasks.[Month Due], Tasks.[Day Due];

This works as expected, but won’t allow edits.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back