Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save Preview Picture in Excel a bit buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmm2222

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
Excel has a “Save Preview Picture” feature which allows the user to view a small picture of a worksheet before opening the file.

Click File / Open and if you are in Preview mode you should see enough of the worksheet to be able to identify if it is the worksheet you are looking for.

I recently downloaded a few Excel templates from the Microsoft website and could not see a preview.

I’d click File/Properties and select the “Save Preview Picture” box, saved the file again and still saw nothing.

The problem is that this feature fails if the width of column A is greater than 32. If it is 32 or less, the feature works fine.

Furthermore, if it is working fine and you change the width of column A to >32 it may appear to continue to work but the Preview you see will be the way the worksheet looked BEFORE you changed the width to >32.

I’ve tested this with Excel XP and 2000. Same bug in both.

If space is a consideration, the save with preview may not be such a good idea. Several of my files doubled in size when saved with a preview.

Sawedoff

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back