Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save log files past restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynapen

Programmer
Apr 20, 2000
US
I am using log4j on JBoss 4.0.2. I am currently using the daily rolling file appender so that I get a archive copy of each days's log files and have a auditable history.

The problem I am experiencing is what to do when the server has to be restarted. Our server experienced a problem @ 4:00 AM this morning, and the operations staff issued a restart to JBoss. Once JBoss came back up it reinitialized log4j, and started overwriting the current log file, wiping out all the log entries that were created from midnight to 4:00. (I have the file roll over at midnight, which is probably what most people do).

Later this morning we had some more severe DB problems, and I feel our 4:00 crash might have been related, but can't verify becuase I have no log.

Is their anyway to tell Log4j, that it should archive the current log file every time it initializes? This way if myApp.log has content in it at 4:00 when the restart gets called, I don't lose that content? It's okay if it has to create it into a separate file, or change the name to something like myApp.log.A etc......

Any ideas.

Yeah.....I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday.....Yeah.....That'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back