Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save For Service Provider - Font Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaacoop

Technical User
Feb 28, 2005
CA
Hello, I am revising an orientation guide in PageMaker and am uploaded it to our professional printers' FTP site. They e-mailed me back saying they were unable to see some of the elements. When I run the Save for Service Provider function, I apparently have fonts that are not installed but they are in extremely oscure locations throughout my document (I thought we had only used 1 font for the entire guide) I have tried to go through each page and delete each element one by one to isolate the font. I have tried looking onto these forums and on the Adobe forums and have taken all the steps listed, but there must be an easier way. I have Adobe distiller and Adobe Type Manager installed but am not sure how to use them in this situation. Does anyone know what I should do?

Hi, aaacoop,

I have tried looking onto these forums and on the Adobe forums and have taken all the steps listed, but there must be an easier way.

You are saying you tried all six options and S4SP still indicates a font is present when it is not?

"Generally speaking this error is non-critical but annoying.

Here is a list of ways to exorcize the font:

Run "Find":
Open the Story Editor and use "Find" to search for the font. Make sure you have "All Stories" checked when you do the "Find".

Check the "Story Editor" font:
Click File -> Preferences -> General -> More. The font may be in use as the Story Editor Font.

Remove unused styles:
Click Windows -> Plug-in Palettes -> Show Scripts -> Text -> Styles and run "Remove Unused Styles".

Check all your styles:
Either look through the styles one-by-one or use the "Styles Info" script at Windows -> Plug-in Palettes -> Show Scripts -> Text -> Styles to list them all in a new PM document, a style per page.

Stray text blocks:
Look on the Paste Board for stray text blocks.

EPS files:
Open any EPS files in Illustrator to see which fonts have been used.

If none of those are the case, make a copy of your document, then cut out half the pages see if the font is listed as missing. If not, then go back to the other half of your document. Repeat until you isolate the page/item where the font resides. "

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I tried options 1 through 5 and because I don't have Adobe Illustrator, I couldn't do option 6. I also tried the last option. I then realized that the person who had previously worked on the document had actually used these fonts but they are not very obvious (ie. arranged behind something) I was just wondering if PageMaker had a function to either: a.) install that font so I can use it or b.) go through and change all those fonts into a font that is useable. I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense!

aaacoop said:
I tried options 1 through 5
And you didn't find the font identified by S4SP?

aaacoop said:
I don't have Adobe Illustrator, I couldn't do option 6.
Do you have any EPS files in the publication? If not, then don't worry.

aaacoop said:
wondering if PageMaker had a function to either: a.) install that font so I can use it
Fonts are installed either via the Windows "Add Font" or Adobe Type Manager. If you install the font, the problem should be resolved.

aaacoop said:
b.) go through and change all those fonts into a font that is useable
Yes. That is the first option above:

"Run "Find":
Open the Story Editor and use "Find" to search for the font. Make sure you have "All Stories" checked when you do the "Find"."

You can also use "Change" to replace all instances of the offending font with another.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back