Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save File to Blob Field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I did this several years ago at another job and it is proving difficult to find the pieces to rewrite. I think it was hard to find then too but hoping someone can point me to the right place or has a working sample?

In any case I want to save a file in a database so I am thinking a file stream to BLOB. I want to say I used ADO somehow for the stream.

My backend will be SQL 2008. If someone knows an ideal SQL BLOB datatype, excellent otherwise I can probably find it related to another environment.

Then I used it for my version control for my front end. I essentially had to access files saved. One that updated the application and the application which would extract the update application and load it which in turn updated the Application and reloaded it. It worked like a charm.

Now I want to use it for storing 'standard' modules with versioning and possibly evolving into an object based version control system. - So yes this really is what I want to do as I know it is not a popular thing to implement.

Ask, change your search parameters, and success...

I found an article:
"Trick of the Week :: Store (and then fetch) files from SQL Server tables"

This is similar for reading the file to what I remember. I'm not too sure about the using Update statement in command vs. ADO Recordset to load the data.

I have some playing to do.

The only thing that I had bookmarked was a classic ASP page for storing files in a blob. Maybe you can figure something out from this page. vbscript in ASP is somewhat similar to VBA.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back