Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

save.exe with password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkalbus

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
DE
Hello,

I am just trying to create a batch job to backup data from a laptop. But I need the data encrypted - simple backup is not safe enough.

Using the windows GUI I can provide a password and select the files to be encrypted. I've even found the local directive - with the crypted password.

My question now is:
- How cas I backup from the commandline with encryption
- If I have to provide the password in the local directive how do I crypt it?

The best would be to provide the password interactively, so nothing is saved.

Reading the man pages and help files did not help any further. Any ideas?

Johanes

You could simply use an encrypted filesystem and back up th raw device. This would only allow you to recover at disc level though.

Hi,

If NetWorker 7 is an option, you can encrypt Windows servers using the pw1 and pw2 ASM in the directive.

Hope this helps,

-ag100

Hi

and thank you...

to TDun:
This is not an option, because this laptop is only the first to be backed up... most of the "superiors" in my company would like to save their data.

to ag100:
As I've seen this asm is already included in 6.2 and 6.1.3 - but how is it possible to set the password? Only in the GUI?

Johanes

Hey,

I havn't tested with it too much, but the way I understand it is this:

Open NetWorker User.
Create a password. This will create a hidden password file on your system called networkr.cfg. The contents will look something like this:

C:\>type networkr.cfg
password "-ook⌂{o⌂"

Then apply this information with the apropriate directive. I believe the NetWorker admin guide (available on Legato's website) goes into it a little deeper.

Good Luck.

-ag100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back