Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save Changes on a Multi User Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

laffspotpc

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2003
US
First, thanks for any help. I have a network with multi users. In Access 97, I could change the design of a form while others had the database open. I have converted to Access 2000 and now when I go to design a form I get this message: "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later.". The only way to avoid this is to have all the useres close the database. Is there away around this?

Thanks
Bill

No, there's no way.

What you have to do is have a 'Development' copy of the db in another folder. Make your changes on that copy then, when everyone is off the Production version, copy it over.

Besides, you don't want to make changes to a form or any object when somebody might be using it. But you can add, edit or delete records to tables without any problem - but of course, you can't make any column design or property changes.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back