Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

save bootstraps to different tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkalbus

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
DE
Hello out there,

in the last two weeks we had major problems with our Networker 6.1.2 - once a destroyed nsr.res and once a destroyed media database.

Both times we had to recover with mmrecov using the last bootstrap. Unfortunately out bootstrap is saved only once a day, as on the cluster there are other apps running.

In the last 24 hours the networker relabeled about 50 tapes - which I will have to scan with scanner and rebuild the media database.

What I intend to do is save the bootstrap more often to disk with a file device. In case of a major disaster the recovery would be much more easier because I would only have to install the networker and configure a file device.
(this will be on an EMC Disk subsystem)

Does anybody have an idea how to do that? savegrp -O will save the indexes and bootstrap - but how could I control where to?

suggestions are welcome...

Johanes

You can create networker devices with device type of "file"

joe

Hi!

creat a seperat group that saves the bootstrap and trigger a new pool on that group and mount the diskdevice to that pool.

/Ulf

Thank you for your suggestions.

Created a file device with auto media management, created a pool that points to exactly that device.

Created a group with an interval of 2 hours

Created a client that is the networker server with a schedule: Always full and a saveset: index, bootstrap
and a retention policy of 2 days.

My first run was successful - now I've added savepnpc to run a mminfo -B after the backup to write the bootstrap information into the daemon.log

I will have a look at what is going on and will keep you updated

Johanes

Found this is the admin guide, hopefully this should answer you questions :

Directing Client Indexes and Bootstrap to a Separate Pool
You can use regular expression matching to direct the client indexes and bootstrap to a pool other than where you send the backup data.

In the following example, the client file indexes are in index:*. To send the NetWorker server’s bootstrap and all the client file indexes from this filesystem to the same pool, create a pool (in the Pools resource) with the following attributes:

name: Index;
pool type: Backup;
save sets: bootstrap, index:*;
levels: ;

When the group’s scheduled backup runs, the client save sets are written to a volume labeled for the appropriate save set pools, while the NetWorker server’s bootstrap and index:* save sets are written to a separate volume labeled for the Index pool.

Then all you would need to do is set the pool only to write to your file type device. Regards
KeefB

[lightsaber]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back