Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save As drop down won't persist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamYSA

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
AU
When I use the "Save As" option in any program the options drop down displays for a second or two then collapses. I can only save in the default format.

I did do a registry clean up (without backing it up first - I know, really stupid) so it is probably a registry issue. I have tried a System Restore and that hasn't fixed it.

Can you test from Safe Mode, and can you test from Normal Mode but with a different user?

What program did you use for cleaning the Registry? Many programs of that ilk come with their own undo or restore option.

Thanks Linney. From Safe Mode and a different user the Save As function works fine. From my usual log in, no luck. The problem persists.

(BTW I tried Safe Mode first then went back to normal mode and for a short while (2 or three tires in different programs) it also worked fine, then started playing up again. I created a new user, logged in on that account and Save as worked fine. but now the problem remains on normal log in).

So that leaves you with the distinct possibility of a corrupt user profile. See if these articles can get you over that.

Fix a corrupted user profile

Fix a corrupted user profile

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Description of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista

Have tried that Linney and yes, the profile repair process did get rid of that problem, but created a bunch of others that will take some time to repair.

Does this give you any clues as to which bits of the profile were corrupted, and whether I can just manually alter those on the original profile.

Thanks

Not really able to draw any conclusion as to why fixing a corrupt profile would create more problems than it fixed, other than any Registry Cleaners that you have used in the past, have perhaps, caused more instability than you were aware off?

The options I might be inclined to consider, involve saving your valuable data and then deleting the users and creating new users, or if that doesn't help, doing a clean install of Windows, the alternatives are piecemeal fixing of various problems as and when they occur in a somewhat unstable system.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back