Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAV 10.1 and Citrix MF 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb63640

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
We got this lovely new version of Symantec Antivirus 10.1. Uninstalled the old NAVCE 7.6 version from my MF XP FR3 server. Now the new version just won't install. It goes through all the motions of installing, then says 1 error, but when you open the dialog box to see the error, it reports 0 error.

SAV isn't installed and I'm happy that this is my test server! Any hints?

If you have remapped your server drives I have seen that cause problems. I am going to assume that you have installed it at the console and as an admin, becuase you know to do that [wink]

If you have remapped the server drives, then map C: to M$ or whatever. This has worked for me in the past.

Might try using filemon and regmon to see what is happening if there is nothing in the eventviewer.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks, Scott. It's frustrating because 7.6 was happy there, but 10.1 isn't :( Will check out the subbing drives idea as the server has been remapped during the Citrix install.

Are the servers 2000 or 2003?

I seem to recall when I performed this on a 2000 server I had to uninstall 7.6 completely, then take Windows out of application terminal services mode, install SAV 10, then reinstate terminal services application mode (This is done by add/remove programs, components, I think...been a while)

J

2000 servers.

I just read on Citrix's site that SAV 9 (which was the latest at the time of the article's writing) should be installed as a CLIENT, not as a SERVER. How crazy is that?

Patrick,

Yikes! What's my best bet, then? Staying with NAVCE 7.6 on my Citrix boxes (as I need them in app server mode), or going SAV CE 10.1 installing as CLIENT in lieu of SERVER?

Install as a client. I've got 4 Citrix boxes with SAV 10.1 installed with no problems at all.

Install SAV before switching to application mode.

The only other thing I had to do was uninstall any email components. Made one of my applications hang on execute.

Ok, nelifecare, so I need to be in remote admin mode, then install SAV 10.1 as CLIENT, right?

The problem with this is that if you don't install SAV before terminal server, you're screwed. I'd send Symantec a nastygram and let them know they're going to lose your business for not offereing a product that's fully supported on terminal server & citrix.

I'd stick with the older, supported SAV, as long as you can continue to get current virus definition updates, or switch to another vendor like Trend.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

I pushed out the 10.02 upgrade from the Symantec System Center to my 6 Citrix servers. It installed no problems and has been working fine. I haven't tried 10.1 yet, i'll let everyone else work out the bugs first....

I always try to be a good citizen here @ Tek-Tips, and I have the solution to my problem.

See this link from Symantec:
Basically, the msxmlx.inf file attributes CANNOT be read only, or the installation fails. Simply turning off "read only" solved my problem :)

Many thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions. Stars to all for your kindness!

PS-- SAV 10.1 is designed to install as an UPGRADE to NAV 7.6, so it's not necessary to uninstall the existing antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back