Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATURATED 2621

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2000
US
My network has three subnet. One of our subnets is a test lab. On that test lab are three servers that have dual nics. We use 3com 3300 switches throughout the network. When the backups from the lab run to our backup server on the main network the router gets bogged down. I have alerts set up on the router and it appears that the management software that I'm using can't ping the router and there are some servers that become unavailable. However I can telnet to the router, although it is rather slow. I have two questions:
1- Can anyone tell me how many packets per second a 2621 routes?
2- Can anyone suggest a good tool that will help me demonstrate to my manager that it is the backups so that I can make the case to reconfigure the backups or buy a more efficient router?

25K packets per second on that router as far as a good software to use to show your boss I am not sure.

There are a few things to try.. For one make sure the process switching isn't enabled, make sure that "ip route-cache" is turned on and try enabled "ip cef"

That might help somewhat..

BuckWeet

Be cautious about giving packet numbers as hard and fast.. if the packets are mostly large or mostly smaller packets, that can and has had a large bearing on the sum total number of packets the router can pass.

Case in point is Citrix which spews ALOT of dinky packets and will overwhelm a router/buffer space set at defaults. The raw numbers would be misleading since the numbers do not account for the overhead processing of all these tiny packets. A good snmp monitoring tool like CastleRock SNMPc will really help in putting together valid stats on the links. SNMPc runs for 30 days as a demo.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back