Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA vs. Ultra ATA...and HD rpm ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonah

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
I think I will build a second box this summer. Am I crazy not to go with SATA HDs? I will use for graphics. Also, do I have to use 10,000 rpm HDs vs. 7200 for any video work?
These new HDs now with 16mb buffers etc.

It depends how much money you have. I think SATA is important. I used HDTach to benchmark 80GB ATA and SATA, and the SATA is much more faster.

I am watching the SATA drives come down in price so by
this summer they should be lower still. Will not be that big a difference to me. What about the higher rpm for video work? Yes or maybe on that?

Depends on the video work.
High rpm is not necessary if you do a lot of image processing, but a good cpu is important. If you deal with large sources, it is important and so the memory.
If you have the money, buy the best. Tomorrow it will be the standard...

Since this is in the Windows 2000 forum instead of the Hardware forum, it begs the question, Will Win2000 work with/have support for the hardware?

I'm not sure, but I think this is OS independent, since Serial ATA is about connecting between the motherboard to the HD. Same as your OS doesn't need to know your AGP speed or FSB frequency or CD-ROM speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back