Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA vs Parallel HDD ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnrenton

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
Anyone using SATA HDD's yet? I'm building a new PC and trying to decide between old parallel ATA HDD and SATA HDD. I know that SATA holds much promise but I've seen some reviews that show present generation SATA HDD's to be about the same performance wise as parallel ATA. Which way should I go? Is there a difference in the limit for drive capacity from parallel to SATA?

Yeah, SATA does allow a total thoroughput of 150MB/s, but most benchmarks show that performance is roughly equal to Parallel hard drives. The advantage right now is cabling. With SATA, you can have longer cables and better air flow.

Also, with SATA you don't have to worry about the 137GB barrier that affects some parallel configurations. Of course, BIOS upgrades on some chipsets get around this problem. PCI IDE cards also bypass the 137GB barrier (the only option on some motherboards). You can read more about the 137GB problem here:

If it's an option for you, SATA might still be the better choice. Parallel isn't necessarily worse... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Let someone else be the guinea pig! with NO increase in performance and what is BOUND to be a MUCH HIGHER price tag why would anyone go with serial ATA (AT THE MOMENT)
Wait for "SECOND GENERATION" technology with a proven performance gain at a similar price.
Special Edition IDE 8meg Western Digitals, way to go.
You just have to look at the past to see just because something is new don't make it better.
Stick with Parallel for now.
Don't be fooled by the claims of 150mb/sec through put, these quoted standards (ATA33/66/100 and 133 etc) have been much lorded in advertising circles but are totally unfounded in the real world, infact in general most hard drives tested fall well short of there boasted ATA rating, some by as much as 40%.
Martin
Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

The point here is that one shouldn't be deceived that SATA is faster than Parallel. Current hard drives run at pretty much the same speed using either connection. With that aside, however, SATA does have other advantages like the ones I mentioned (helping with air flow & tidiness, no barriers, longer cables, etc). Go with whatever floats your boat and won't put a hole in your pocket.

Just a matter of opinion I guess... [wink] ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back