Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA RAID QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigboomstick

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2006
CA
Hey folks,

First time setting up SATA RAID and my plan was to mirror 2 drives for the C:\ and use 1 drive for the D:\; I need to limit downtime of this machine and I thought mirroring the C:\ would be the best option. I'm using an Asus A8N-E, Opteron165, 2GB RAM; all 3 drives are Western Digital 250GB SATA2 w/16MB Cache.

I hooked 2 drives to the SATA1 & SATA2 ports on the mobo, created the array, created a partition and installed WIN2K Server. Everything works great, Disk Management shows the array as Disk 0. But when I install the third drive to the SATA3 port, disk management now shows the array as Disk 1 and the D:\ is shown as Disk 0.

Can anyone explain why the Disk ID would change?

This has to do with the device layout on the board. You may have disk 1 & 2 plugged into slots 2 and 3 instead of 1 & 2. Windows pulls the disk #'s in by controller number, target number, device number, and then LUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back