Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sata Raid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulreg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
GB
I am trying to buy an IBM x206 and I want to set up simple Raid 1 mirroring. One supplier tells me that I just need to buy 80GB 7200 RPM SATA disks with EZ Swap trays and these will support Raid 1. Other suppliers say that I need to buy a proper SATA Raid controller. All I want to be able to do is survive a disk failure, power down, swap out the u/s disk and have the system rebuild it. Will EZ swap tray facilitate this ? Thanks
Paulreg

The tray has nothing to do with it. With the x206 you have two options... The system comes standard with ServeRAID 7e (aka Adaptec 'HostRAID') which is a software RAID capability. The RAID algorithms are in the system BIOS and SATA drivers. Only Windoze and Linux are supported and its not the friendliest thing in the world but it does work. For better performance and friendliness, you can opt for a ServeRAID 7t and have HW RAID with cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back