Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA mirror, set in bios then doesnt recognise drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

boulder38

Technical User
Nov 26, 2005
Hi all.

I have a AsRock AM2NF3-VSTA motherboard with 2gb ram, 2xSATA seagate 400gb Hard drives, and a 4600 amd dual core chip!

I need to get Raid set up for the 2 sata hard drives to be mirrored!
In the BIOS i have the IDE Configuration screen with sata enabled and set to non-raid, and this picks ups the drives fine no problem. as soon as i turn it to raid it doesnt detect the hard drives. i dont exit the bios and go back in just change it go back down to them enter into the configuration for them and it says device not detected.

Any clues to why this is happening or if there is any other ways of doing it??

Thanks all Luke

Sorry if this is kind of basic, but the two hard drives you have are the IDE or SATA? Your board supports RAID on the SATA ports, not IDE.

Also, I'm not sure if I read what you wrote correctly, but you said you change it and don't save and exit? Go ahead and try that (even if bios doesn't see the drives) and assuming you have sata drives your raid controller initialization should pick up the drives. You'll still have to setup the raid in whatever software they provided.

Nate

Hi Nate,
Thanks for the reply.

they are 2 sata hard drives yes.
I have figured it out! you need to set it to raid (and because its a hardware configuration rather than a software it doesnt show the drives) and then save and exit, restart the computer, wait for it to go past the BIOS and then press F10 afterwards to enter the setup for the RAID.

In any manual for the asrocks motherboards i have it doesnt tell you that anyway it just says about changing it to raid in the bios and thats it!
Which if they decided to do that it would of saved me about 5 hours on friday!!!

Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back