Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sata HD seen as "removable disk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyowl71

MIS
Sep 4, 2002
US
I have a Dell 8400 w/ SATA HD. When I bought the computer it came with XP Home. I wiped the HD and installed XP Pro - at that time setup could find the HD but the solution was in the BIOS settings as described here;
Now I have installed a 2nd HD (used) which explorer sees as a removable disk. When you double click on it, it asks you to insert disk in drive F:

BIOS recognizes the disk as what it is - a 250GB western digital...

Any help...many thanks.
Jeff

Remember when you re-installed XP? About the third screen said something about "If you have to install any third party drivers Press F6 now". This was to install the drivers for the SATA. Did the SATA drive come with a driver disk? You may need this now to install drivers for the SATA drive.

Well...I'm not sure what you mean. Those drivers were already installed during setup. If I try to update the drivers on the new HD it finds nothing even using the floppy that was necessary during setup for 3rd party drivers.
I installed and ran Western Digitals HD installation program...using the "setup HD's" option it scans for devices and only sees the original Seagate HD and the Phillips DVD/CDr. The Seagate is listed as the Secondary Master, the Phillips the Secondary Slave. There is no Primary master or slave. The jumper settings on the Seagate say "factory use only". According to documentation re; SATA there is no master/slave relationship and if 2 devices are connected they should both be considered a Master.
Much confusion on my end...maybe the drive is just faulty...any way to know for sure.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back