Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA Hard Drive Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriisb

Programmer
Mar 13, 2003
US
I recently got a Dell Dimension 8400 with a 160 GB Western Digital Serial ATA Hard Drive and tried to install Redhat 9 and then Fedora Core 2. Neither distro would recognize the hard drive so I looked in the BIOS for the option to make the SATA drive act like a PATA drive but could not find that option either. Are there any other options that I could try? I really wanted to dual boot with Windows, but I am afraid I might not be able to... Thanks.

You need to tell the install to use drivers for the SATA. I don't know which drivers you need to specify or how to specify them.

I had the same issues with a SATA-Raid with SuSE 8.x/9.x .. go to the vendor site of your controller and look for a Linux module, then, before starting the installation, you can load additional modules into your installation-kernel, so put in your disk and load the module. Then install, and it will work .. you possibly have to re-load the module manually before a clean start after all installation processes .. make your own initrd to be sure, that the module is loaded everytime your kernel boots...

-Alex

*Chuckles*

You guys got further than I did. SATA RAID on a 8.0 Redhat Distro just doesn't work!

I heard that Fedora and Vector linux both support SATA now.

Sometimes I think you need to leave technology to mature a little. lol

Imp

Thanks for the posts guys, I couldn't find the module from Western Digital but I found out I was overlooking the switch in the BIOS to make it perform as a PATA hard drive. Thanks a lot!

Chriisb -
I am having the same trouble you were, with a Dell Dim. 8400. After you made the switch in BIOS to make the HD perform as PATA, were you able to run Windows again? I have the situation where I have to keep switching the HD setting in the BIOS depending upon which operating system I want to use. Perhaps someone has a solution to this frustrating problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back