Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SATA...EIDE. ASUS TUSL2-C Mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
Just when things get running comfortably somebody comes and invents something new. I have a 4 year old w2k sp4 computer with ASUS mobo with eide adapters. I am about to purchase a new (probably slave) larger hard drive (keeping current drive). WD has some great deals on SATA drives. Would they be campatible, or better, can I adapt them. Would it be worth the trouble? What are advantages (speed I assume). W2k problmes (asside RAID) to be expected. (Ok, always expect w2k problems)

Changes in partitioning requirements?

Thanks.

If mobo has no SATA support, then you'd need a PCI card to support the SATA drive.

BUT - there's still no significant advantage to SATA - even though SATA II has a 300mbs interface - because hard drives are not capable of taking advantage of that interface yet.

I don't know where you buy drives from, but here in UK where I buy from, there's no significant price different between IDE and SATA.

Basically - in your position I'd buy an IDE drive.

If you did go SATA and it was slave, should have no problems - it should appears in disk management just like an IDE drive. If you wanted to put the o/s on it you'd need the drivers for the PCI card you bought on a floppy duing the install (after pressing F6)

Thanks. IDE sounds easier. No, not much difference I see now.

jlockley
OR: if you like the idea of owning newer SATA technology to allow for a future motherboard/CPU upgrade with SATA, you could buy a SATA to USB2 external hard drive housing.
Use the new hard drive in the casing to give yourself future options.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I purchased eide. Having the usual problems. (240 gb, recognized the first time as 128, then not. I am going to look for answers here. If I don't fine one , I will post later. Thanks.

It was atapi.sys. Getting it involvded downloading sp5 rollup one, which immediately disabled the NIC. Used to that one. Love windows.

I think I have it down now.. save atapi update to temp, restore w2k, reinstall installer, IE6, sp4, copy updatet atapi.sys over to system32, reapply policies to registry. check nic. update security patches one at a time.

Can't wait. Now preparing emergency disk from another computer. Gotta love the system.

In the meantime, however, cannot format the drive, which is temporarily recognized by WOZ. whoopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back