Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAS V9 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickdel

Programmer
May 11, 2006
GB
Has anyone been involved in a SAS server upgrade. SAS are telling us that the Metadata server is fundamental to the operation of SAS 9. I can't help think that this is just SAS trying to squeeze yet more money out of us. Can anyone shed any light on this?

where would we be without rhetorical questions...

Yup, I've been involved in a server upgrade to version 9. You don't NEED a metadata server to use version 9. I'm currently using it here on my PC without a metadata server.
However, there is functionality within v9 which uses the metadata server, and for organisations which have large databases, it will probably make your lives easier (particularly if you're using Enterprise Guide). Personally, I've never been in a situation to use one, so I don't know what it adds.
I'll contact some people I know who may have a metadata server set up and ask them to add some comments if they have the time.

Chris
Business Analyst, Code Monkey, Data Wrangler.
SAS Guru.

Thanks Chris,

I've done quite a bit of research on this now so here's the details for anyone else in a similar situation!

SAS Metadata server is free with the SAS 9 upgrade. This can then be used in conjuction with Management COnsole (also free) should you wish. You can continue to remote submit base SAS queries using SAS connection however what you wont be able to do is remote submit any Enterprise Guide or Miner queries as this requires Integration Technologies which SAS will charge for. *Note: you have to use an older version of Miner if you done purchase Integration tech as the new Java version (v5.2) requires this.

Hope this of some use to anyone else as it's not easily available on the web!

Nick

where would we be without rhetorical questions...

Nice work Nick, thanks for the followup.

Chris
Business Analyst, Code Monkey, Data Wrangler.
SAS Guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back