Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAS Disks in DL380

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevets2001uk

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
GB
We have recently purchased some DL380's and I have a question about the disk drives in one of them.

Configuration

Bay1 - 72GB (Mirror) Logical Drive 1
Bay2 - 72GB (Mirror) Logical Drive 1
Bay3 - 146GB (RAID5) Logical Drive 2
Bay4 - 146GB (RAID5) Logical Drive 2
Bay5 - 146GB (RAID5) Logical Drive 2
Bay6 - 146GB (RAID5) Logical Drive 2
Bay7 - 146GB (RAID5) Logical Drive 2
Bay8 - 146GB (Online Spare) Logical Drive 2

All drives are detected in the ACU and all seem to be functioning. However after installation of Windows the drive in Bay 2 does not have a steady green light or appear to blink when writing is occuring to the mirror set. Also the drive in Bay 3 has the same issue.

Is this a problem (with configuration or hardware)? If so what steps can I take to correct it?

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

They are not both set as offline spares are they? I'd be worried about your mirror if this is the case.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware/drivers etc..?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

I don't believe they are offline spares. Is there any easy way to get a report of exactly how each drive is configured?

Drivers/Firmware should be up-to-date but I will check. Should I look for array firmware?

Latest firmware is applied. I also checked and neither disk is configured as a spare.

I did a further test where I swapped the mirrored drives in bays 1 and 2. After swapping disks the light still did not show for the drive in bay 2. So it appears to be linked to the bay and not the disk.

Is there anything I can do with the drive cage to correct this? I have tried reseating all of the cables internally.

If the disks are working as configured, I would not worry about it.

You could replace the backplane but you would probably be throwing good money at a problem that does not require it.

Does this occur during POST also or is it just in the OS?

"Insert funny comment in here!"

It's occuring at POST as well.

This system was only delivered at the end of Novemeber so if it's a fault we'll be expecting a replacement from HP. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious first.

Thanks for your suggestions on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back