Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAPdb on AIX backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaireG

MIS
Jan 28, 2002
US
I'm trying to back up a 34gig SAPDB database on AIX. The instructions from SAP AG suggest using a named pipe in a dbmcli command. However, when I try this it wants a checkpoint to be taken, which will lock out the database for some time.
The database is not yet fully populated so I cannot get an idea of how long it would be unavailable for, but my SAPdb dba says at 34 gig it might be unacceptably long.

Is anyone out there backing up SAPdb using the dbmcli and named pipe method? Is it possible to get the backup without taking a checkpoint?

Should I be looking at using Backint For SAPdb instead, or does this have the same issue with checkpointing?

You have to choose another backup mode. If you don't want to wait for checkpoint you have to backup in mode SAVEDTNCHK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back