Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAP Vs Cognos

Status
Not open for further replies.

debdas

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
IN
I am familiar with SAP BW. I have heard that some companies use SAP BW and have report net of Cognos.
My question is: If your company has already SAP R/3 and SAP BW , why should you buy/use something as Cognos report Net.?
So in other words what benifits do you gain? Or are there not any?

Further the question the other way around.
What if you have cognos report net, why should you use SAP BW next to it?

Can any-one tell me that?

Thanks

Hi debdas,

When you use BW you gain much functionality by adding Cognos Report Net, for instance:
printing web reports with BW is a disaster, where as Cognos uses PDF conversion so everyhing looks Ok.
Reporting tools from Cognos are more user-friendly than the Bex tool from BW and offer a lot more options.

Why use BW if you already have Cognos?
- SAP R/3 is a pain to retrieve data from directly. SAP makes heavy use of internal structures in stead of tables. It takes a lot of effort to locate the data you want to report on.
BW takes a lot of work out of your hands and puts the data ready to use on a separate server. This also benefits the performance of your production server(s).

hope this clarifies things a bit ;-)
weygold

Hi,

I am in charge of SAP BW, Budgeting System and Reporting in our company since many years.

For our Management Reporting we have to join for example many queries in one report and in addtion to this, we use always 2 structures e.g. contribution statement with budget/actual/prior year with a variance analysis comming from another cube. This report is not possible with cognos.net today. I got this statement from the technical cognos support. Thats the reason why we use crystal reports. this tool is much more powerful than cogonos but its more difficult to create reports. its a tool for a programmer and not for a normal user.

kindly,

marc

I use products of cognos for long time. I find it is a flexible reporting tools. As our company's idea, endusers can use it to create any kinds of reports by themselves. IT or others are as the cognos administrator to create the catalog. But users like the excel more than cognos. so it is as a data fetched tools. after fetched data by cognos, they just calculate in excel.

Who can teach me a good way to let endusers like it, and let cognos beats the microsoft excel really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back